Friday, May 9, 2008

Advice, anyone?

As many of you know, I recently declared a psychology major. I mapped out my graduation plan and can graduate as of next August (2009). However, recently I've been re-thinking that decision. As much as I enjoy the subject and the study of it, it's a rather simple degree that isn't competitive and probably isn't the best for preparing for a career after graduation.

But if I changed my major, what would it be now? I want something that's competitive, will challenge me, and give me a better possibility of finding a job when graduation time comes. As I thought about it, I thought about the previous classes I've taken, which I've enjoyed, and which would lead to degrees of real value. With suggestions from others and lots of thought, I decided perhaps I should try a few more accounting classes and see how that works for me. I've only taken Accounting 200, and I have about 15 credit hours of more courses to take before I can apply to the program. However, I really enjoyed the course, and I know the program is highly ranked and competitive.

The only problem with switching majors now is how far along I already am, not necessarily in the Psychology major, just with school in general. I've finished all my general education classes, and taken about 4 classes for the Psychology major. Since the Psychology major is so short, I could finish quickly and be done with school in a little over a year. However, if I decide to go for the Accounting program, it'll take about another 3 years (1 year of taking all the pre-requisite classes, 2 years in the actual program). As strange as it may sound, I really wouldn't mind being in school an extra 2 years because I really enjoy school, especially BYU, and I love learning (nerd alert!!). My biggest concern is taking that extra spot in the university those extra 2 years when I'm sure someone else would love to have it.

So now I have to decide:
1) Stick with the easier major, be done quickly, and have a degree of less value
------OR------
2) Go for the harder option, be in school 2 extra years, and have a competitive degree

For now, I'm thinking about keeping my required Psych classes for Fall and simply dropping some of the elective classes and take some of the pre-requisite accounting classes instead. That way I can keep going with a Psych degree, but if I really enjoy the accounting classes and do well in them, then I can switch over to Accounting and still pursue a minor in Psych (with a double minor in Music, which is 2 credit hrs shy of being done). If I don't like the accounting classes, I can just go ahead with a Psych degree and graduate probably only a semester later (December 2009).

I just don't know though........
~~~~ Any thoughts anyone??

4 comments:

Jeff Brown said...

If you think you would enjoy accounting then why not go for it. Carie thinks you actually graduate with your Bachelor's and Masters at the same time from the accounting program. You shouldn't be concerned about taking someone else's spot. It is a tough program and intense, but you probably would do good at anything. Pray about it, but I say if you like it, keep going for it!

Bill said...

You are wonderful daughter of mine and Heavenly fathers. We want you to excel. This is your time to do that. Accounting would be a wonderful opportunity if you could stick it out. Many that go in Accounting aren’t able to handle it , I know you could. You have been given many gifts and you should expound on these talents you have! I know if you pursued this you would never regret it! You could still take Psychology class, its good you lean about things you enjoy. But let’s face it; unless you get a doctorate in Psychology it is not very marketable.
You know you opinionated Dad has a say! You have been given this time to attend BYU, This time is yours and you should not be so concerned about taking someone’s else’s spot. This is your time to add to your talents and not dismiss this wonderful opportunity and let them be buried. Most things worthwhile are not easy and require work. You can do it. I want you to be happy and succesfull.

Katie said...

That's a big decision--I actually was trying to figure out the same thing--switching majors in my Jr year! I stuck with HFL, but at least started a certification program with it.

I think you should take the pre-accounting classes next semester and THEN, decide. Test the water with more accounting, if you still ilke it, then why not go for it? Especially if you don't mind being in school longer--I did, so I decided not to switch, but if you don't mind then I say go for it! You are a very bright girl, Darce, I know anything you decide to do will be great. Pyschology isn't bad either--but you would need a masters to get a good job.

Katie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.