Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Reality TV - An addition, a curse! :)

First of all, let me just say (and lots of people already know this)...

...I don't like reality TV...

The only exception is 'American Idol,' and I only really enjoy watching that once the Top 20 or so are chosen. I hate watching the original auditions, all the crappy people put in there just for people to laugh at, with the occassional talented contestant thrown in there. (I know, I know, this is some people's favorite part to watch...sorry, guys.) I enjoy watching the real competition - actual talent vs. talent. I don't want to hear the drama - it just complicates things, and all I really wanna see is the actual singing (but they gotta have personality through their performances as well).

For most reality TV, it's ALL ABOUT THE DRAMA. You can't shut up the hosts about who's mad at who and who's fighting or scheming against other players. Now, I realize this is not true of all reality TV, for there are some exceptions. I haven't watched much of 'So You Think You Can Dance,' but it's probably similar to 'American Idol' in that it doesn't focus on the drama, but on the dancing. However, all those game/race reality TV shows have gone way too far with the drama and fighting. It all just seems staged and fake to me now. Not only is the focus away from the actual game/race/competition, but it hooks the TV watchers in by making it a competition. Audiences have to keep watching just because they started, and they want to make sure that jerk who schemed against the nice guy doesn't win. It becomes an addiction for those who watch it only a few times, just because they have to know what happens in the end.

And now we've sunk even lower - the contestants don't even have to be human. Now we're on the hunt for the most talented dog in America. Come on, guys.

So after watching a couple seasons of reality TV in high school, I've stopped. I don't find the shows enjoyable, and I don't like being addicted. But I still watch the last few weeks of 'American Idol' every season just because I enjoy music, and I especially love the finale when they bring in all the guest artists to sing with the contestants. But that doesn't mean I'm addicted...right?? ;)

2 comments:

Jeff Brown said...

Carie says most of the same things you have just said.

But I do like American Idol and So you thing you can dance, (The auditions are pretty funny to me though). But I agree with you on most other reality shows. I can't stand Survivor, Amazing race, etc.

Kevin Brown said...

I can see all the negatives about watching reality TV but I must admit I love em. And the cheesier the better. I can't stand the high quality shows like American Ido and So you think you can dance (except for watching the weirdos and those that suck).

The more bizzare and cheesier they are the more entertaining they are to me.

I must admit though that's it's not good to be addicted to TV or watch much TV at all anyway and I'm trying to read more. When I read I tend to learn but when I watch TV I tend to only be entertained.