Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Kindle vs. iPad


There's been a lot of press lately about the various eReaders in the market. I got a Kindle for Christmas from my wonderful parents, and I absolutely love it. It's so easy to read, feels good in your hands, is extremely lightweight, and works amazingly. I bought my first textbook for the Kindle for this term, and I love carrying my Kindle around to class rather than a huge textbook. Needless to say, I'm a Kindle fan, and I read something on my Kindle nearly everyday.

Then today I found an article from someone who's not a big fan of the Kindle and sides more with Apple and their iPad. I've played with the iPad, and I think it's an amazing game changing device, but not in the eReader market. I think the iPad is an internet and media device, but it's not fit for the eReader market as it doesn't use electronic ink, the most important aspect of an eReader. Comparing these two devices is like comparing apples to oranges, as they consist of different features and serve different purposes based on the users' needs.

If you want an eReader to read books and other articles (as if you are reading paper), look at the Kindle, Nook, Sony Reader or other device that use electronic ink.

If you want an internet/media/game device that you can read from (like a computer screen), look at the iPad or other tablets that will be released in the coming months.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

the iPad is more useful, the only thing you can do with a kindle is read. i have also heard some great reviews about the iPad.
good point about the ink vs. iPad screen thing; however, the iPad screen is more like a tv screen than a computer screen. so it is easier to read

Darcy Marie said...

Yes, the iPad has more uses, so that's why you really need to focus on your individual needs when considering what to buy. I also adore my little laptop, and I use that for everything else, so I don't think I'd use the iPad for anything. Other people maybe have bigger laptops or are just attracted to the iPad for the many features it has.
I didn't know about the iPad screen being like a TV screen, but I guess that makes sense, so it'd be a little easier to read, but still the Kindle is the easiest.

Bill said...

I enjoy the comments, however, have you ever tried to read any thing for long periods of time on a TV screen, for me it’s worse than computer screens by far.