Saturday, February 14, 2009

Pepsi vs. Coke

My friend, Michael, told me about a taste test he had in one of his classes: Pepsi vs. Coke vs. generic brand soda. He said very few people could tell the difference, but he corrected identified Coke as the better tasting soda. I was curious as to how I would do with this test, so I decided to do it myself!

The Contenders









The Testers
:
My friend, Kenny, and me
(We gave each other the samples and blindfolded each other so we couldn't see a color difference, even though I couldn't see one anyway)

Test #1
We went to Smith's and bought both, then we came back, but the drinks were still really warm from the store, so we added 3 cubes of ice to each drink to chill them a bit, but it made them REALLY HARD to tell apart because the ice melted rather quickly.
Results:
Kenny - Correctly identified Pepsi and Coke, yet admitted to only knowing the difference because of the difference in carbonation, not taste.
Darcy - Incorrect, but hoped for better results from test 2!

Test #2
We put both liters in the fridge for an hour or two so we could retest without ice cubes.
Results:
Kenny - Correctly identified Pepsi and Coke again, this time acknowledging a SLIGHT difference in taste, but it was hard to describe.
Darcy - Incorrect again, but I could at least taste a little of a difference this time, but they still both tasted pretty good to me!

CONCLUSION

While I thought I'd be set on Coke (since I'm from Atlanta), I really can't tell the difference. Even for Kenny, it was pretty hard to tell the difference between them, and he had to take two sips of both in order to figure it out. Then again, I don't really drink soda anymore - and I never really drank Coke or Pepsi, mostly just Sprite. Nowadays, it's usually always water or some kind of fruit juice. Either way, from now on, if I decide to buy soda, I'll just pick whichever one is cheaper :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, I'm Aren. This sounds fun. I like little science experiments like this. Maybe I'll try to see what the difference is between Apple Cider and Apple Juice? Sprite, 7 Up, and Slice? Though strong soft drinks like Mountian Dew and Coke seem to burn my nose because it's so carbonated.

Unknown said...

I actually like the taste of pepsi better... i think it has a sweeter taste, maybe? but, like you, i feel more loyal to coke :)