Sunday, February 5, 2012

2012 Goals


I’ve never posted my goals on this blog before, but I think it’s a great idea because you are held much more accountable for them as they are public information.  So with that said, here are my goals for this year:

FINANCIAL (I’ll do the boring ones first)

1) Keep up with Mint to continually track income/expenses and modify budgets accordingly

I’ve always done this every week, so it’s a fairly simple goal, but it’s very important, so I intend to keep going throughout this year.

 

2) Save enough to buy a home by the end of the year

This doesn’t mean we have to buy a home by the end of the year, it just means I want enough saved that we could.

 

 

3) Start working with Kenny to get a business started

Kenny has about 10,000 business ideas, and it’s about time we get started on one of them.  I’d like to have at least one business plan written by the end of the year (ideally, we will be much farther along in the process by then, but we don’t want to rush into anything either).

 

 

CAREER

mbacpa4) Create a timeline for MBA and/or CPA preparation and completion

For about a year, I’ve been debating about whether to go for the CPA or get an MBA.  Both interest me, but I’m afraid both is a bit too ambitious.  This year, I really need to decide which path I want to take and come up with a plan for getting it done.  Granted, this goal is kind of a cop out (I couldn’t say “Begin CPA preparation” or “Begin MBA preparation” because I don’t know which one I want to do yet!)

 

dlr5) Become a Senior Analyst by the end of the year

This is quite a lofty goal.  Most senior positions require 3-4 years experience, and by the end of the year, I’ll only have two (technically only 1.5 according to Disney because my internship doesn’t count!), but it’s still a possibility!  And definitely something I can reach for. 

 

PERSONAL/HOME

6) Blog at least once a month.

I did pretty poorly with keeping up with the ol’ blog last year, so hopefully this year I will be more diligent about posting updates more frequently.  Once a month isn’t very often, but considering last year’s postings…..it’s a good start for me :)

 

 

7) Try a new recipe once a month

 

Again, a fairly simple goal, but I do need to get better about cooking more often.  I tend to blame work for coming home tired and never wanting to cook anything, but cooking is the best way to eat healthier and it saves money, both of which would be I’d like to do this year.

 

 

 

8) Play the piano once a week

My parents sent me my old electronic keyboard, plus our new place has a piano, so I no longer have an excuse to not tickle the keys once in a while.  I played a little right at the end of last year, and I realized how much I miss it!  I’ll just have to find some sheet music somewhere…

 

 

9) Read at least one new book each month

Last year, I did very poorly in the reading department.  I spent way too much time watching TV, movies, and going to Disneyland instead.  So this year, I plan to read a book each month (reading Harry Potter for the 10th time does not count!).  I’m a little behind already (I’m not quite done with January’s book yet, almost!), but February’s book has already been chosen, so I’m planning on catching up!

 

And that’s it!  They seem like fairly simple goals, but also achievable, which is very important in goal setting (at least for me).

I realize it’s now February, so it’s a bit late to be posting this, but I’m still doing it because I want this to be public information so I’m more inclined to work on these goals.  Wish me luck!

3 comments:

Mama Scribbler said...

"Achievability" is way important for goals, I think. I need to follow your example and post a list even though it's February.

Brenda said...

Fantastic goals, Darce. I'm sure you can achieve all or at least most of those goals! You are an inspiration to all of us.

Bill said...

As Mom says you are an Inspiration to us. Wishing you the very best as I have always done. You are always in our thoughts and prayers. We love you, keep it up.