Tuesday, November 18, 2008

A little bit of what's been going on...

I've been really busy lately! I had the busiest week ever last week, but this week is so much more lax, so I'm really excited about that :)

What's been going on lately:

1) For the past 2 weeks, I was competing in Pricewaterhouse Cooper's (PWC) xTax competition. No, it wasn't for class or extra credit, just to build up my resume a bit. Basically, we were on teams of 5 people and given a portion of a fictitious country's tax codes along with a presidential candidate's platform. We were then asked to come up with 3 changes to existing tax code to better fit the candidate's platform, evaluate the changes it would have on the economy, and present to a board of PWC partners. It was pretty intimidating, but it was a great learning experience, and my team was so great to work with! We didn't place or anything, but I'm glad I did it.2) I went to Preference with some of my roommates on November 8th. I've never been before (it's for freshman, right?), but Haley asked me to go, so we all went, and it was a blast! My favorite part was the yummy yummy cookies they had at the dance ;)
Aren't we pretty?? :)

The whole HaPpY bunch

3) Every morning, I go to campus early to participate in research. I play a game on the computer for 20 minutes, and afterward, they give me $2-4 for my time :) It pays for my lunch pretty much everyday! I'm also in another research study concerning letters to congress, and that one paid me $20 for 30 minutes of instruction/filling out questionnaires on Saturday! Being in psychology classes and signing up for research studies can really pay off :)

Things I'm looking forward to:

1) UTAH GAME ON SATURDAY!! 4 P.M. Mtn Std Time. Mark your calendars! We'll probably lose since we've not been playing to our potential lately, but I can't lose hope for the cougs.
2) THANKSGIVING BREAK! We only have two days of classes next week (one of which I don't even have class on), so after Monday, I get 6 days off from school! I cannot express how great that sounds.

3) SEEING HALEY'S PLAY TOMORROW! She's been working so long and hard on it, and I know it's going to be great! I can't wait :)
:)

2 comments:

Kevin Brown said...

I would be very interested to hear what your 3 proposed tax changes were.

Darcy Marie said...

Well, keep in mind, the tax codes were similar to U.S. codes, but not the same. Basically the idea was to come up with "green" tax codes, so this is what we came up with even though I'm not all for the green movement:
1) 5% tax credit on investments in research and development companies focused in developing new renewable energy resources
2) Increased tax credit for companies using renewable energy for their businesses (I think it was $0.027 for each kilowatt hour of renewable energy used)
3) $1,500 Tax credit for buyers of "green" cars (it was previously simply a tax deduction)