Friday, January 9, 2009

Flying: Then and Now

On Sunday, I flew back to Utah Valley for yet another semester here at the Y. Usually my experiences with flying are usually the same, but this time I noticed how different it has become over the years. Just a few things that have changed since my first few flights...

THEN....
If you had a flight during a meal time, it was customary for flights to provide meals. I remember flying to Hawaii in 1995 for my oldest brother's graduation trip, and we were given breakfast along with other various snacks throughout the flight free of additional charge.

NOW....
Meals are usually not an option for most flights. However, if you are on an extensively lengthy flight, they may offer you a meal for a fee. Some airlines even charge for snacks!

THEN...
Most airlines allowed passengers to check 2 luggage bags for free. There was also no weight limit.

NOW...
Most airlines are now beginning to charge for at least a 2nd checked bag, if not the first as well. There is also a usually a strict weight limit of 50 lbs. You'd think they'd let a few pounds slide, but I've been forced to remove luggage due to as little as 2 pounds of additional weight.

THEN...
Movies were offered on nearly all flights over 2 hours in length free of charge, except if you needed to buy a headset/headphones which cost around $2.

NOW...
Most airlines now require a fee for movies as well, usually from $5 - $8, regardless of whether you already have a headset/headphones or not.

Lots of other changes have occurred, such as the recent liquid requirements for carry-on bags, and I'm sure many more details that I've missed. These are just a few of the changes I noticed on my last flight. Not to say there haven't been positive changes as well! The internet has made booking flights and even checking in much easier for passengers. My only concern with some of the changes is the need for the airlines to begin charging customers for each and every aspect of the flight (bags, entertainment, food, etc.) I realize many of the airlines suffered due to increasing gas prices, but have they not begun to drop again? I no longer see a need for airlines to be adding fees to each and every step of the process.

No comments: